Historically automatic gearboxes were thought of as large clunky additions to saloon type cars and 4X4s. They usually hindered performance and burned fuel at a rate of knots, as well as having a higher price tag.
Nowadays, due to huge leaps in engineering, you can enjoy the comfort of driving an automatic which is quiet, efficient and with much more power and pace.
Here are our top three suggestions for automatics which are available to purchase new at under £20,000, and their most stand-out features.
1. Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 100 Zetec Powershift 5dr
List price: £16,905
• Fiesta is a popular all-round car
• Exceptional six speed twin clutch powershift automatic gearbox
• 1.0-litre Ecoboost petrol engine
• Zetec model is particularly recommended for value and extras
• Fuel consumption and CO2 emissions close to manual gearbox
• New Fiesta arrives in July 2017, so deals will be available
2. Seat Leon 1.4 EcoTSI FR Technology 5dr DSG
Target price: £19,301
• Sports suspension and generous equipment
• 5-inch colour touchscreen, cruise control, climate control, multifunction steering wheel, 17in alloys and rear parking sensors
• Extras available for a reasonable price in the form of LED headlights, 6.5in colour touchscreen and nav system, a DAB radio, 18in alloys and further enhanced sports styling
• Over £20,000 list, but available for under £20k
• 1.4 model is best value for money
3. Skoda Octavia 1.0 TSI 115 DSG
List price: £18,445
• 9.9sec 0-62mph sprint time
• 7 speed
• Stylish and comfortable family hatchback
• Incredible amounts of space
• 1.0 litre auto is not short of power or pace
• Good value for money
• Quirky look and design
Automatic transmissions are becoming increasingly popular as they become more sophisticated and economical.
They take the hard work out of driving, especially when in cities or busy towns and now with a more reasonable price tag, better power and pace and greater fuel efficiency, the ‘auto’ has evolved into a comfortable, economical, and most importantly, fun overall driving experience.