DVLA confirm date of ‘significant’ change for UK drivers

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has announced a “significant rule change” for UK drivers, and the implementation date is expected to be April 2024, according to Express. What are the significant changes? Here’s all you need to know:

International Driving Permits (IDPs)

Did you know that currently, if you plan to drive in more than 140 countries, including Australia and Canada, you need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to legally operate a vehicle?

However, the big news is that there is a change coming very shortly, in which we’ll see that IDPs will no longer be issued through the Post Office. Starting from April, drivers are advised to obtain IDPs from PayPoint stores instead, according to Worcester News.

To get an IDP, drivers must visit a PayPoint store with their driving license, passport, and a passport photo. Being prepared with the correct type of IDP is crucial for lawful and hassle-free driving, especially in key destinations like Turkey, Mexico, Canada, and Australia.

Motoring experts at Swansway Motor Group said: “It’s crucial for drivers to be aware of these changes

There are three types of IDPs, and the one you need depends on the country you’re visiting, which we’ll go through.

While an IDP is not usually required for most popular holiday destinations abroad, it’s essential to check if you need one for your specific destination.

If you’re traveling before April 2024, you can still obtain an IDP from a participating Post Office branch. However, if your travel date is on or after April 2024, you’ll need to visit a participating PayPoint store.

What are the three types of international driving permits?

As mentioned above, there are three types of IDPs, each serving different purposes and recognized in various countries:

  1. 1926 IDP:
    • Valid for one year.
    • Required for driving in specific countries, including Mexico and Somalia.
    • Not commonly used but essential if you’re visiting these countries, according to Car Buyer.
  2. 1949 IDP:
    • Also valid for one year.
    • Recognized in most countries outside the European Union.
    • If you’re planning to drive in countries like Argentina, Australia, or Canada, this is the type you’ll need, says the AA.
  3. 1968 IDP:

It’s always a good idea to check the specific requirements for the country you’ll be driving in and obtain the appropriate IDP to ensure a smooth and legal driving experience! Staying informed about driving regulations is essential, both domestically and internationally. Make sure you’re fully compliant before traveling!

Picture of jamjar.com


Sell your car with jamjar - Get instant offers now.



Car Buying:



Read More

More Articles