During the peak of summer, the interior of your car can heat up to dangerous temperatures, which can make you feel particularly uncomfortable while driving and make this otherwise beautiful season downright unpleasant. When exposed to sunlight for a prolonged period of time, your car can become incredibly hot and for those who don’t enjoy intense heat, it can make them feel like they are being roasted alive.
Here are our top tips for how to keep your car cool this summer:
1. USE A DASH COVER: A fabric or upholstered dash cover can aid towards making your car’s interior more comfort. Park in shady areas when possible. If you have a garage then the summer is a good time to make use of it and if you go to a public car park, see if there’s a shaded spot you can leave your car in. Deflecting the heat from your car, dash covers can help to keep your car cooler on sunny days as they block out harmful UV rays as well as protecting sensitive vinyl from sun damage that can cause cracking and fading.
2. PARK IN A SHADY AREA: Where possible, park in a shady area. If you’re going somewhere for a long period of time, it maybe be worth parking your car in the shade and walking a little bit further to your destination.
3. CAR SUN SHADES: Car sun shades protect your car from UV rays and sun glare. The mesh screen reduces sun glare and helps to keep you cool, making a difference to your vehicle’s cabin temperature. They can also be very useful in making sure that the steering wheel and seats aren’t painfully hot upon contact.
4. WINDOW TINT: Investing in tinted windows will help to reduce the amount of sunlight that enters your car and help to keep it cool. A tinted window is far less affect by thermal rays, which is a main contributor to building heat inside, for example, a vehicle’s cabin.
5. BLANKETS OVER SEATS: To keep your car seats cool, throw blankets over them, especially if your seats are made of leather of vinyl. When you return to your car, your seats will be cool and they will make your car feel much more pleasant on hot summer days.
6. SEAT COOLING CUSHION: Ensure that you have a comfortable seat while driving during the summer with a seat cooling cushion that provides a soothing, cooling and revitalising experience.
7. PARK IN A GARAGE WHERE POSSIBLE: If you have a garage, park your car there as it will be out of direct sunlight and will have the benefit of near-constant shade.
8. KEEP WINDOWS SLIGHTLY CRACKED: Do not roll the windows all the way down, leave them slightly cracked and check to be sure that you can’t fit your arm through the crack in your window. By leaving a just a small crack in your car will help to promote ventilation, which will keep air flowing through your car and keep your car cool.